Crossing the mountain range between St. Gotthard and San Bernardino passes is probably one of the last great skiing adventures in the Alps. It is a four day tour moving from one hut to a another. Stiaying the night in a wiinter rooms of the huts. The groups hast to cook their own food since there is no guardians in the huts during the Winter. The true taste of wilderness is guaranteed since there are only very few people on this majestetic route.
Haute Route of Ticino
Day 1 We meet at Hotel Forni in Airolo 18:00. There we do the briefing for the Tour: check the gear, divide the food for the tour etc. and stay the first night.
Day 2 After hotel breakfast we start the first leg of the Tour. We climb to Bocchetta del Camolghé and ski down to Cadagno hut over Lago di Tom (6,5h 1150m up and 300m down)
Day 3: Todays Route goes from the Cadagno hut over Passo del Sol, Passo di Lucamagno and Passo di Gana Negra to Boverina hut. (7h 900m up and 1000m down)
Day 4: From Capanna Boverina we ski down to Campo Blenio and then climp up to Capanna Adula over Lago die Luzone (7h 700m down and 1200m up)
Day 5: Last day and the highlight of the tour - the Rheinwaldhorn traverse. We climb up the Rheinwaldhorn over Adulajoch and ski down to the eastside descending to Zapport valley and Ski down to Hinterrhein. Where the tour ends at around 15:00 (8h 1100m up and 1800m down)
- Mountain Guides IFMGA
- 3 x accommodation with half-board (self cooked simple dinners and breakfast by the guide) in the moutains huts
- Rental equipment: avalanche, glacier equipment
- Ski Touring Equipment
- transportation (ski lift getting there, etc...)
- Snacks or lunch
- Personal accident and health insurance abroad
- Personal equipment (see recommended equipment)
The tour is designed for skiers who already have some experience in ski touring. How ever one does not need to be very experienced either. It is sufficient if one is technically in a position to ski slopes with 35 degrees of inclination. Physically the participants must be able to manage upto five-hour climbs and about eight hours total touring time per day in a moderate pace carrying about 3kg of extra weight (food)
- backpack 30-40L
- Glacier equipment and Avalance security equipment also available rental
Ski Touring Equipment
- climbing Skins
- ski touring boots
- Telescopic poles with large plates
- technical Underwear
- touring pants
- Wind and waterproof jacket (Hardshell, breathable) or Soft Shell Jacket (depending on weather)
- Intermediate layer / insulating layer (fleece or insulating jacket depending on weather)
- well-fitting socks
- warm gloves
- warm hat
- Sunscreen and lip protection factor 30
- Thermos (unbreakable) and water bottle (or both, depending on the tour, weather and preference)
- Passport, identity card
- Camera, cell phone, charger
- Credit card, Cash
Ski touring is an high alpine activity in a terrain, risk of avalanches and stone fall is present. The daily goals can be more dificult or even impossible to reach upon unfavorable conditions (weather, snow, ice, fog, rain, storms, avalanches, lightning storms) Unfortunately also short-term occurrence of such conditions can happen in the high mountains in any season.
The tour will take place in Switzerland. Please ensure that you have adequate insurance protection! (Health insurance and an insurance policy that covers any possible rescue and recovery costs).
We refer to our Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen - company policies.